Thursday, May 10, 2012

Easy peasy banana bread

easy banana bread

Helloooo there! I’m back today with a very quick, YUMMY, very easy recipe – and I just had to share it because for years I thought it was way harder than this.

I love when I think something is difficult for so long and then do a quick search on the net and realize it’s not hard at all. Or maybe I hate when that happens, because I’ve denied myself of awesome all that time.

Whatever. This one is scrumptious and easy.

I had some bananas that were overripe, so before I threw them out I grabbed my phone and searched “easy banana bread recipe.” This one on Simply Recipes popped right up and I just had to share!

Can you believe I’ve never made banana bread? Ever??

It seriously took five minutes to mix everything:

banana bread ingredients

(I took this after I had already mashed the bananas, these are not quite ripe yet.)

You’ll need:

  • 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed (I used four)
    1/3 cup melted butter
    1 cup sugar (they say you can easily use 3/4 cup, I went with a cup)
    1 egg, beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    Pinch of salt
    1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

I love that the ingredients are so basic – I had everything I needed on hand. How often does that happen when you want something specific?

First mash up the bananas (I used a potato masher), and then add the melted butter:

YUM, banana goo!

Then mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla:

On a side note, I’m a put-away-as I-go kind of cook. Do you put ingredients right away or wait till the whole shebang is done at the end? Leaving them out kind of gives me hives. :)

Add the baking soda and salt and mix:

Add the flour last, bake at 350 in a preheated oven for one hour and you’re done!

I added a bit of cinnamon at the end too, just because cinnamon is good in just about any baked item. In my opinion.

I don’t care for nuts in banana bread, so this recipe was perfect for me. If you like them in your nanner bread, I’m guessing about half a cup would be perfect.

The recipe specifies an 8” by 4” loaf pan, but all we have is a 9 by 5. Because of that I baked it for about 50 minutes instead of an hour.

It came out perfect:

easy banana bread recipe

I may or may not have eaten about five a couple pieces by the time I took this picture. :)

It is SO good. Especially yummy warm from the oven, with a little butter…  Ohhhh…um, what was I saying? I may add a few raisins in my next loaf – I think that would be amahzing.

I thought banana bread was much more complicated than this, and when I realized it wasn’t (and it was GOOD), I just had to share! Have you discovered an easy recipe you thought would be more difficult?

Now go forth and bake!!

No comments:

Post a Comment