Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Morning bird/Night owl

I’m at a crossroads in my life people. I’ve been a certain someone most of of my 36 years, and I desperately want to become another. It’s time. It needs to happen. Change is good. (I keep telling myself that.)

You see, I’m a night owl.

night owl image

(source)

That’s me…usually wide awake at midnight. (But I don’t need coffee -- I don’t even drink it.)

I’m making a conscious effort to try to become the opposite:

 

morning bird image

Again, without the coffee. I mean, is this a necessity? Please tell me non-coffee drinkers can be the bird.

Just look how happy he is. All alert and peppy and early. The owl just looks freaked out. I want to be the bird.

But…deep in my heart, in my soul, in my being, I just want to do this every morning:

image

It’s a struggle, to say the least.

I’ve always leaned toward being a later kind of person, but in my adult years it’s gotten worse and worse. When I worked full time and had to be in at 8 a.m., it was absolute torture.

I seemed to always push that 8 a.m. to 8:30, and then I’d stay till 5:30. That was just more comfortable for me.

Blogging doesn’t help. Or at least I use it as an excuse. As a blogger, my days have started and ended later every year. It’s gotten progressively worse. Initially it was because I’ve always blogged and done computer business while my son is asleep. (Which is just a personal decision for us.)

But now, I must come up with a better solution. I’m determined to make a change and I need help and reassurance that it can happen!

Help. me.

Because my kiddo goes to pre-K so few hours a week, it’s hard for me to blog while he’s gone. That’s a time for me to get stuff done, you know what I mean? And it’s just not in me to be functional (in that way) in the morning when he’s gone.

I’m also a procrastinator to a T – always have been. I was a huddle in the library and cram for an exam kind of person, and that always served me well.

Once I wrote a paper well ahead of time, to see if I could do it. It was the worst grade I got on a paper in my four year college career.

My mind just functions better when I have pressure, (that’s why I don’t schedule posts for the week – I have to come up with content by the day and write it as it comes) and it’s the same thing with working earlier in the day. I get in a zone when I write at night, there’s just something about it.

I can’t get in that zone during the day.

It’s weird.

But I’m determined to change my life where this is concerned. Why? Many reasons. One, I just feel out of touch with the world. It’s a yucky feeling waking up later than 90 percent of the world, (at least it feels like that) and knowing so much productivity has been happening while I slept.

I want to fall asleep when my husband does – I’m tired of being the only person awake in our home for hours on end at night. (Sometimes it’s nice, but lately it feels more and more lonely!)

My kiddo goes to school next year, and like it or not, I need to figure this out. I want to be awake and present for him and have plenty of time in the mornings for him to get prepared for the days too. Right now he would much rather go to bed later and sleep in (and that he does – it rocks). He’s turning into me. :)

The world is not a night owl world. Plan and simple. I mean, no one is on Facebook at 2 a.m. ;) And have you seen the television at that time? Thank goodness for the DVR. (And I ask you, where was the DVR for the 3 a.m. feedings five years ago??)

And finally, I’m working out (pretty intensely) again, and I find I feel SO much better when I start out my day with exercise. I feel more productive, more alert…just better. No, not just better, TONS better. It feels GREAT.

But my body fights me. It hates me. ;) I can easily stay up till 2 a.m. – if I had my own clock, that would be my bedtime. If I’m engrossed in a good book, I can stay up till 3 or 3:30 no problem.

I feel more comfortable working out late at night – it is totally not unusual for me to work out at 11 p.m. I know, I see some of your mouths gaping open. Close that, you’ll catch flies. ;)

Thing is, I’m OK once I’m UP. It’s just the getting there that’s the problem. I’ll hit snooze five or six times some mornings. And it doesn’t seem to matter how much sleep I get – my body just struggles no matter what time I went to bed.

I’ve actually done some research in my quest to become a morning lark. It’s quite fascinating too. Turns out whether you are a morning or evening kind of person is largely genetic (which I figured, since my mom is the exact same way). It also is kind of ingrained in you – your body clock (circadian rhythm) is just set a certain way and your body fights to follow it.

What I found most interesting is the consistent traits for each type of person. Studies have shown that night owls have higher intelligence/I.Q. (I don’t believe that personally), and tend to be more creative (that I totally believe.)

If you’re an early birdy and are offended by that, don’t be, because owls also score lower on tests than morning folks (isn’t that odd, considering the intelligence thing?) and are more likely to suffer from depression and/or addictions.

And you lucky morning folks seem to test much better and get better grades than people like me. And you catch the worm. I mean…who doesn’t want to catch the stinkin’ worm?!

early bird gets the wormI do. I really, really do.

Overall, I just know it needs to change. I want to eat breakfast in the morning (night owls rarely do), I want to not feel rushed and frantic in the mornings (night owls usually do). 

The best part of all this research is that I have hope – it most definitely can happen.

So, I’m trying. Lately, I’ve been forcing myself to go bed earlier. I now recognize that watching  just one more TV show or reading one more blog at 1 a.m. isn’t going to change my life for the better. Eight hours of sleep will. I realize that working out first thing in the morning makes me feel so. much. better. than when I exercise at night.

I want to help my kiddos lean toward a morning bird life too. My stepdaughter is at college and is already on the dark side with me…and when she gets a full time job, it’s gonna hurt. And I don’t want the Bub sleeping away his summer mornings when his friends are already out playing at 9 a.m.

It’s time for a change. And I’m working on it. :)

So, tell me. Are you are a lark or an owl? Do you like what you are, or do you struggle like me? Have any of you owls-at-heart changed to a morning person? Do you get up without an alarm clock? I’d love to hear your tips and anything that’s worked for you!

Thanks in advance! I’m off to get ready for bed. We’ll see how this goes. Cheer me on!!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment