Wednesday, August 29, 2012

DIY nailhead trim

Hey there! I’m back today with a quickie update that only took me a YEAR! You think I kid. ;) OK, the project only took a few minutes, but getting there took a year.

When we made some changes to the family room last year I found a new chair at HomeGoods for the space:

homegoods chair

The chair is different for me – kinda funky and I love it. It doesn’t look it but it is so, so comfortable – I curl up in it almost every evening. :)

I always thought it could use a little somethin’ though, and when I saw Courtney’s post last summer I knew exactly what I wanted to do!

I even bought the supplies last year – a few packages of furniture trim from the hardware store:

nail head trim for furniture

I got mine from True Value and it’s the only place I’ve seen this nickel color in this size. Everyone else has other colors (bronze, black) in this larger size, but not this nickel color.

And then the nails sat in the garage for…well. A long dang time. ;) A year now? I am ON IT!

Last night I got a wild hair and decided to just do it already.

I started out by eyeing each nailhead piece and then quickly realized that’s not the best idea. They were all wonky and I knew the wonky would drive me crazy.

So I came up with what I thought was a brill idea:

adding nailhead trim to furniture

I just took the tape measure and marked off inch spaces with a pencil. The pencil erased right off if I needed to move one. Smart huh? Well I looked back at Courtney’s post today and just realized she did the exact same thing. Maybe it was in the subconscious all this time? Who knows? ;)

Anyway, I used her brilliant idea and it went super fast after that:

how to add nailhead trim

Just place them on your pencil mark and use a hammer to tap them in:

Make sure to hammer them in well so they get into the furniture frame – it creates a nice “tuft.” And when they are in they are nearly impossible to get out…believe me. :) I had to move a few of them along the way.

They are SO very not perfect. But they look much better than when I just eyeballed them. This side was a little iffy:

nailhead trim to dress up chair

But if you stand back you’ll never notice.

I think the front looks pretty good!:DIY nailhead trim

I always thought you had to use the long strips of nailhead trim in order to get this look, and when I’ve looked for those at fabric or craft stores in the past they’re either out of stock or it’s not cheap.

This took four packages, about $7 total I think? Not bad for a little bling update!:

DIY nailhead trim

This project took me about 15 minutes total – once you get the marks on there it goes really fast.

Now I’m trying to figure out where else I can use this trim – I like the bronze version I’ve seen as well. I think they’d be cool hammered into a frame or wood or something. My wheels are turning. :)

P.S. You can see more about the rug in this space here and the candlestick table here!

 

I was one of the bloggers selected by True Value to work on the DIY Squad. I have been compensated for my time commitment to the program as well as my writing about my experience. I have also been compensated for the materials needed for my DIY project. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment